223 Ackley questions

Dang Jake !
Really didn't think you would punch out that Savage. It shoots pretty good stock.

Let me know how it shoots. Give Daisy a good belly rub for me ! She 's a sweet dog.
Tim

Last edited:
Here's my 223 AI and 70 year young momma shooting at 425 yds. 65 JLK Low Drag/Varget @ 3050 mv.

IMG_0298.jpg

momthe425ydline.jpg

Yeah, JB. It was in 1 of those issues. Figured it might sell better if momma was in it. She and wifee love shooting that rig--

HPIM0111_111_023.jpg

wind caught her a bit on the last shot.

Nice. You have any idea on where a fella could get a few of the VLD magazines you talked about? I talked to DPMS and they have no plans on making them again

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeDang Jake !
Really didn't think you would punch out that Savage. It shoots pretty good stock.

Let me know how it shoots. Give Daisy a good belly rub for me ! She 's a sweet dog.
Tim

Yeah I can't believe I did either. I hope it still shoots as good as it did before. Daisy said thanks for the rub.

When using the 223 AI, it will like hotter loads. I use the thick cup primers, such as the Rem 7 1/2, CCI 450, CCIBR-4, or the CCI 41(military primer).

You are in for a very pleasant surprise with the n-133 and the 50's. I'm getting 3750 with the 50's out of a Hart 23" and 3850 out of a 27" hart using IMI brass. N133 blows the other powders away in speed with extreme accuracy.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanWhen using the 223 AI, it will like hotter loads. I use the thick cup primers, such as the Rem 7 1/2, CCI 450, CCIBR-4, or the CCI 41(military primer).

You are in for a very pleasant surprise with the n-133 and the 50's. I'm getting 3750 with the 50's out of a Hart 23" and 3850 out of a 27" hart using IMI brass. N133 blows the other powders away in speed with extreme accuracy.

Hey Ackman

Do you have any load data that you care to share with us? I found some loads for the AI using the N133 powder but they were getting nowhere close to the speeds that you are talking about.

I have only been loading for my .223 Ackley for a bit over a month now and am not sure that I have found the perfect load for it yet. N133 is an expensive powder, but if it will do what you say it will do I am willing to try a pound or two of it.

I have a Tikka T-3 Lite 223 Rem, would there be any problems having it made into a 223 AI?

Does the 223 Rem magazine handle the 223 AI brass without any problems?

For fire forming reloads, should I just neck size and not trim the 223 Rem brass?

Is the 223 AI brass the same length as the 223Rem brass when they are trimmed?

My local gunsmith. I just ordered a heavy 223AI built on a take-off rem varmint barrel. Will be about $200 for the completed barrel, plus another $110 or so for upper and ff tube. That gets me into it pretty cheap. Under $350 for sure.

Back